Lecture 19: Realism to Impressionism
- exams to be returned in lecture Monday, April 13th.
- hard copies of long writing assignment available after lecture
- What is the responsibility of the modern artist?
- Courbet Burial at Ornans,
1849/details: 1 & 2.
- Zoffany (English) The Royal Academy 1
& 2, 1770.
- Eakins (American) The Gross
Clinic (portrait of Dr. Gross),
1875 + details: 1, 2, & photo/Rembrandt, The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Tulp, 1632.
- Homer (American) Long branch, NJ,
- Manet (French) Luncheon on the
Grass, 1863/Giorgione Concert
- Manet (French) Olympia,
1863/Titian Venus of Urbino.
- What did salon audiences consider to be good art?
- "Impressionism": light, color, loose brushstroke = immediacy,